Monday, November 2, 2009

Traveling the World ... One Data Source at a Time

Every Saturday night at 6:30pm, there was a show on our NBC affiliate called "The Eyes of Texas". The show featured a couple of 10-minute visits to usually obscure places in Texas. Some were big, most were small, some were in the city, most were nature. Most weekends I didn't watch the show that closely, but they never seemed to run out of stories (at the time, I just wasn't their target demographic).

If the State of Texas never ran out of stories in 30 years of broadcasts, I can barely fathom what kind of show "The Eyes of the World" could be. As great as that may seem, two thoughts come to mind. There are already a lot of shows that explore the world. Many do so with a keen eye on entertainment value. Travel shows instantly come to mind.

I have been exploring a business idea for the last 5 years, and this is where my second thought comes to life. I have a slight fascination with data (structured data, specifically), and the web has only served to increase my curiosity for data of the world in much the same way that a library enhances the experience of the curious reader.

When most people think of traveling the world, contemporary transportation is usually involved: Planes, Cruise Ships, etc. However, if your worldly experience is limited to airports and ports of call, you probably are missing out on so much that the world has to offer. A golfer who only plays from the fairway similarly "misses out" by not exploring the whole course ;-).

Over time, I will explore the world and its data ... one data source at a time ... except when brining in multiple sources of data would be more interesting. Just like the Eyes of Texas, I will tell stories with the data that I come across. In doing so, I will "travel the world".

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting idea. However, I am not sure what you are looking for since “data” is a huge scope. From your golf comment I am assuming that you are looking for information that is off the beaten path and is not something that is widely known. That being the case here is your first portion of data.

    There is an herb that has been in use for over 2000 years by the Chinese. This herb is known by many names, but in the west we know it at Ganoderma. This herb was so rare and powerful that it had the same value as Gold, and was used by the kings and emperors to improve health. This earned the herb the title of “the King of Herbs”.
    Today, thanks to modern production methods, this herb is more readily available, and is use by many people to improve their overall health. The herb can be found in a number of forms, but the best way to get this herb is in a great tasting cup of coffee. For more information see www. coffee2gold.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, your comment , although off topic, brings up an interesting point. I obviously need to invest a little time in a post that clearly describes what I mean by structured data and how it can be used to gain fascinating insights into the world we live in. Who knows, if I could get a copy of Organo Gold's list of independent Sales reps (such as yourself), I already have a great idea for a blog post.

    IBrakeForData

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the confusion. I guess I will need to see what stories you tell with the data that you get before I fully understand where you are trying to go with this blog. I look forward to seeing your first post.
    By the way thanks for mentioning Organo Gold. Yes OG is one of the companies that sells Ganoderma, but my data is from other sources and not just OG. I would love to see the post you would write if you had a list of the OG reps.
    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete